Tuesday, February 17, 2009

First. Post. EVAR.

Boom.

So, get it out of your mind that this is yet another motivational blog about overcoming adversity, weight loss, or any other inspirational shenanigans.


No, no, that’s not it at all. I mean, it could be... but that's just not my style.


It's more like: I'm trying to lose weight, looking for a job, desperately seeking grad school, and have too many boy troubles. I already spend an exorbitant amount of time on the internet, so I might as well make a blog, right? A place for me to brag about any success I may come across and bitch about the many failures that I will surely endure.


(Hint: Fails > Wins, lately)


At any rate, today (or yesterday, technically... I haven't gone to bed yet so it doesn't count) pretty much broke even. I didn't do jack shit for pretty much the entire day; just watched a marathon of "Dead Like Me" on the Sci-Fi channel and ate a Subway sandwich. Most people would count that as a win, being lazy with no responsibilities all fucking day long. Not me! This is what I do all the damn time and I'm getting pretty sick of my boring slacker lifestyle. So, score one for the world... it basically had me beat until around 9pm. But after 9? I got myself out of the house and ran with my brother for 40 minutes. FORTY FUCKING MINUTES! That's right, bitches. I swear on everything that I love, that is the longest period of time I've ran. Ever.


Me: 1, World: 1. It's a tie!


About five weeks ago, I started the Couch to 5K (C25K) running program that slowly but surely transforms couch potatoes into runners. I've honestly never been a huge fan of even the idea of running. Any attempts I've made in the past either resulted in puking from over-exertion then giving up or an extremely short lived stint (2 weeks max) of walking, with short spurts of sprinting. With C25K, I have been able to gradually build up endurance to run for an extended period of time at a pace that is comfortable for me. I've mostly followed the program, however I've added extra runs here and there -- especially in the beginning. I am technically on "Week 6" of the program; after running for 30 minutes instead of the planned 20 without noticing last week, I feel like I am at the point where I can keep that up on my own rather continuing the scheduled runs. Anything else would feel like backpedaling. The end goal of C25K is to run for 30 minutes without a break, so if I am able to do that already with no problems I want to continue challenging myself. The 40 minute run today felt amazing when I had finished... I'd like to work towards an hour long run now.


And whaddaya know? A program geared towards C25K graduates who want to become a "One Hour Runner". Awesome. That totally seems doable.


I'm motivated, but it would be super rad if I could actually lose some weight and see the numbers on the scale drop already! Grr.



No comments:

Post a Comment